154. Lee J-J, Abdullah M, Liu J, Carvalho IA, Junior AS, Moreira MA, Mohammed H, DeLisa MP, McDonough SP and Chang Y-F
"Designing a multi-epitope subunit vaccine against Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis through proteomic profiling of membrane vesicles"
J Proteomics (in review)
153. Park S, Colville MJ, Shurer CR, Kuo J, [...] DeLisa MP, Lammerding J, Zipfel WR, Fischbach C, Reesink HL and Paszek MJ
"Immunoengineering can overcome the glycocalyx armor of cancer cells"
Nature Materials (in press) Link
152. Williams AJ, Wong DA, Desai P, Nguyen PM, Qin Y, Warfel KF, Jewett MC and DeLisa MP
"Cell-free systems for the production of conjugate vaccines"
Methods in Molecular Biology (invited submission to “Carbohydrate-based vaccines”) (in press).
151. Bidstrup E, Kwon YH, Kim K, Bandi CK, Aw R, Jewett MC and DeLisa MP
"Cell-free systems for the production of glycoproteins"
Methods in Molecular Biology (invited submission to “Recombinant glycoproteins: methods and protocols”) (in press).
150. Brixi G, Ye T, Hong L, Wang T, Monticello C, Lopez-Barbosa N, Vincoff S, Yudistyra V [...] DeLisa MP and Chatterjee P
"SaLT&PepPr is an interface-predicting language model for designing peptide-guided protein degraders"
Communications Biology 6: 1081 Link
149. Hulbert SW, Desai P, Jewett MC, DeLisa MP and Williams AJ
"Glycovaccinology: the design and engineering of carbohydrate-based vaccine components"
Biotechnology Advances 68: 108234 Link
148. Robinson M-P, Jung J, Lopez-Barbosa N, Chang M, Li M, Jaroentomeechai T, Cox E, Zheng X, Berkmen M and DeLisa MP
"Isolation of full-length IgG antibodies from combinatorial libraries expressed in the cytoplasm of Escherichia coli"
Nature Communications 14: 3514 Link
147. Stark JC, Jaroentomeechai T, Warfel KF, Hershewe JM, DeLisa MP and Jewett MC
"Rapid biosynthesis of glycoprotein therapeutics and vaccines from freeze-dried bacterial cell lysates"
Nature Protocols 18: 2374-98 Link
146. Moeller TD, Shah SB, Lai K, Lopez-Barbosa N, Desai P, Wang W, Zhong Z, Redmond D, Singh A and DeLisa MP
"Profiling germinal center-like B cell responses to conjugate vaccines using synthetic immune organoids"
ACS Central Science 9: 787-804 Link
[*Featured in ACS Press Room "Testing vaccine candidates quickly with lab-grown mini-organs"]
145. Weyant KB, Oloyede A, Pal S, Liao J, Rivera-De Jesus M [...] Locher C, de la Maza LM, Coleman MA and DeLisa MP
"A modular vaccine platform enabled by decoration of bacterial outer membrane vesicles with biotinylated antigens"
Nature Communications 14: 464 Link
[*Editor's Highlight - top 50 best papers in “Microbiology and infectious diseases”]
144. Williams AJ, Warfel KF, Desai P, Li J, Lee JJ, Wong, DA, Nguyen PM, Qin Y, Sobol S, Jewett MC, Chang Y-F and DeLisa MP
"A low-cost recombinant glycoconjugate vaccine confers immunogenicity and protection against enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli infections in mice"
Frontiers in Molecular Biosciences 10: 1085887 Link
143. Warfel KF, Williams AJ, Wong DA, Sobol SE, Desai P, Li J, Chang Y-F, DeLisa MP, Karim AS and Jewett MC
"A low-cost, thermostable, cell-free protein synthesis platform for on-demand production of conjugate vaccines"
ACS Synthetic Biology 12: 95-107 Link
142. Chung SS, Bidstrup EJ, Hershewe JM, Warfel KF, Jewett MC and DeLisa, MP
"Ribosome stalling of N-linked glycoproteins in cell-free extracts"
ACS Synthetic Biology 11: 3892-3899 Link
141. Jaroentomeechai T, Kwon YH, Liu Y [...] Wilson JD, Li M, Chapla DG, Moremen KW, Jewett MC, Mizrachi D and DeLisa MP
"A universal glycoenzyme biosynthesis pipeline that enables efficient cell-free remodeling of glycans"
Nature Communications 13: 6325 Link
[*Editors’ Highlight - top 50 best papers in “Biotechnology and methods”]
140. Taw MN, Boock JT, Sotomayor B, Kim D, Rocco MA, Waraho-Zhmayev D and DeLisa MP
"Twin-arginine translocase component TatB performs folding quality control via a general chaperone activity"
Scientific Reports 12: 14862 Link
139. Jahi F, Zaferani M, Lopez-Barbosa N, DeLisa MP and Abbaspourrad A
"Sheathless inertial microfluidic cell separation via a serpentine–contraction–expansion device coupled with a combinatorial extraction regulator"
Microfluidics and Nanofluidics 26: 54 Link
138. Clausen H, Wandall HH, DeLisa MP, Steentoft C, Stanley P, and Schnaar RL
In: Varki A et al., editors. Essentials of Glycobiology [Internet]. 4th edition. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press Link
137. Boock JT and DeLisa MP
"Two-tiered selection and screening strategy to increase functional enzyme production in Escherichia coli"
Methods in Molecular Biology 2406: 169-187 Link
136. Aquino AK, Manzer ZA, Daniel S and DeLisa MP
"Glycosylation-on-a-chip: a flow-based microfluidic system for cell-free glycoprotein synthesis"
Frontiers in Molecular Biosciences 8: 782905 Link
135. Taw MN, Li M, Kim D, Rocco MA, Waraho-Zhmayev D and DeLisa MP
"Engineering a hyper-secreting strain of Escherichia coli by directed co-evolution of multiprotein translocation machinery"
ACS Synthetic Biology 10: 2947-2958 Link
134. Li M, Zheng X, Shanker S, Jaroentomeechai T, Moeller TD, Hulbert S [...] Cox EC, Labonte JW, Gray JJ and DeLisa MP
"Shotgun scanning glycomutagenesis: a simple and efficient strategy for constructing and characterizing neoglycoproteins"
Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences U S A 118: e2107440118 Link
133. Stephens EA, Ludwicki MB, Meksiriporn B, Li M, Ye T, Monticello C [...] Kummer L, Zhou P, Plückthun A and DeLisa MP
"Engineering single pan-specific ubiquibodies for targeted degradation of all forms of endogenous ERK protein kinase"
ACS Synthetic Biology 10: 2396-2408 Link
132. Hershewe JM, Warfel KF, Iyer SM, Peruzzi JA, Sullivan CJ, Roth EW, DeLisa MP, Kamat NP and Jewett MC
"Improving cell-free glycoprotein synthesis by characterizing and enriching native membrane vesicles"
Nature Communications 12: 2363 Link
131. Mahajan SP, Srinivasan Y, Labonte JW, DeLisa MP and Gray JJ
"Structural basis for peptide substrate specificities of glycosyltransferase GalNAc-T2"
ACS Catalysis 11: 2977-2991 Link
130. Stark JC, Jaroentomeechai T, Moeller TD, Hershewe JM, Warfel KF [...] Jones BD, DeLisa MP and Jewett MC
"On-demand biomanufacturing of protective conjugate vaccines"
Science Advances 7: eabe9444 Link
129. Koçer I, Cox E, DeLisa MP and Çelik E
"Effects of variable domain orientation on anti-HER2 single-chain variable antibody fragment expressed in the Escherichia coli cytoplasm"
Biotechnology Progress 37: e3102 Link
128. Moeller TD, Weyant KB and DeLisa MP
"The interplay of carbohydrate and carrier in antibacterial glycoconjugate vaccines"
Advances in Biochemical Engineering / Biotechnology 175: 355-378 Link
127. Yates LE, Mills DC and DeLisa MP
"Bacterial glycoengineering as a biosynthetic route to customized glycomolecules"
Advances in Biochemical Engineering / Biotechnology 175: 167-200 Link
126. Han C, Xia K, Yang J, Zhang H, DeLisa MP and Liang X
"Investigation of lipid profile in Acetobacter pasteurianus Ab3 against acetic acid stress during vinegar production"
Extremophiles 24: 909-922 Link
125. Jaroentomeechai T, Taw MN, Li M, Aquino A, Agashe N, Chung S, Jewett MC and DeLisa MP
"Cell-free synthetic glycobiology: designing and engineering glycomolecules outside the cell"
Frontiers in Chemistry 8: 645 Link
124. Kightlinger W, Warfel KF, DeLisa MP and Jewett MC
"Synthetic glycobiology: parts, systems, and applications"
ACS Synthetic Biology 9: 1534-1562 Link
123. Natarajan A, Jaroentomeechai T, Cabrera M, Mohammed J, Cox EC, Young O [...] Varner JD, Azadi P and DeLisa MP
"Engineering orthogonal human O-linked glycoprotein biosynthesis in bacteria"
Nature Chemical Biology 16: 1062–1070 Link
122. Gnopo YMD, Misra A, Hsu H-L, DeLisa MP, Daniel S and Putnam D
"Induced fusion and aggregation of bacterial outer membrane vesicles: experimental and theoretical analysis"
Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 578: 522-532 Link
121. Techner J-M, Kightlinger W, Lin L, Hershewe JM, Ramesh A, DeLisa MP, Jewett MC and Mrksich M
"High-throughput synthesis and analysis of intact glycoproteins using SAMDI-MS"
Analytical Chemistry 92: 1963-1971 Link
120. Lopez-Barbosa N, Ludwicki MB and DeLisa MP
"Proteome editing using engineered proteins that hijack the ubiquitin proteasome pathway"
AIChE Journal 66: e16854 Link
[*Special issue in honor of Frances Arnold]
119. Kightlinger W, Duncker KE, Ramesh A, Thames AN, Natarajan A, Lin L, Stark JC, Mrksich M, DeLisa MP and Jewett MC
"A cell-free biosynthesis platform for modular construction of protein glycosylation pathways"
Nature Communications 10: 5404 Link
118. Thornlow DN, Cox EC, Walker JA, Sorkin M, Plesset JB, DeLisa MP and Alabi CA
"Dual site-specific antibody conjugates for sequential and orthogonal cargo release"
Bioconjugate Chemistry 30: 1702-1710 Link
117. Ludwicki MB, Li J, Stephens EA, Roberts RW, Koide S, Hammond PT and DeLisa MP
"Broad-spectrum proteome editing with an engineered bacterial ubiquitin ligase mimic"
ACS Central Science 5: 852-866 Link
116. Meksiriporn B, Ludwicki MB, Stephens, EA [...] Waraho-Zhmayev D, Kummer L, Brandl F, Plückthun A, and DeLisa MP
"A survival selection strategy for engineering synthetic binding proteins that specifically recognize post-translationally phosphorylated proteins"
Nature Communications 10: 1830 Link
115. Cox EC, Thornlow DN, Jones MA, Fuller J, Merritt JH, Paszek MJ, Alabi CA and DeLisa MP
"Antibody-mediated endocytosis of polysialic acid enables intracellular delivery and cytotoxicity of a glycan-directed antibody-drug conjugate"
Cancer Research 79: 1810-1821 Link
114. Wayman J, Glasscock C, Mansell TJ, DeLisa MP and Varner JD
"Improving designer glycan production in Escherichia coli through model-guided metabolic engineering"
Metabolic Engineering Communications 9: e00088 Link
113. Yates LE, Natarajan A, Li M, Hale M, Mills DC and DeLisa MP
"Glyco-recoded Escherichia coli: recombineering-based genome editing of native polysaccharide biosynthesis gene clusters"
Metabolic Engineering 53: 59-68 Link
112. Mahajan SP, Meksiriporn B, Waraho-Zhmayev D, Weyant KB, Kocer I, Butler D, Messer A, Escobedo F and DeLisa MP
"Computational affinity maturation of camelid single-domain intrabodies against the nonamyloid component of alpha-synuclein"
Scientifiic Reports 8: 17611 Link
111. Natarajan A, Jaroentomeechai T, Li M, Glasscock CJ and DeLisa MP
"Metabolic engineering of glycoprotein synthesis in bacteria"
Emerging Topics in Life Sciences 2: 419-432 Link
110. Jaroentomeechai T, Stark JC, Natarajan A, Glasscock CJ, Yates LE, Hsu KJ, Mrksich M, Jewett MC and DeLisa MP
"Single-pot glycoprotein biosynthesis using a cell-free transcription-translation system enriched with glycosylation machinery"
Nature Communications 9: 2686 Link
109. Kightlinger W, Lin L, Rosztoczy M, DeLisa MP, Mrksich M and Jewett MC
"Design of glycosylation sites by rapid synthesis and analysis of glycosyltransferases"
Nature Chemical Biology 14: 627-635 Link
108. Bonassar LJ, DeLisa MP, Putnam DA et al.
"Michael L. Shuler Tribute"
Biotechnology and Bioengineering 115: 1642-1645 Link
107. Glasscock CJ, Jaroentomeechai T, Yates LE, Wilson JD, Merritt JH, Lucks JB and DeLisa MP
"A flow cytometric approach to engineering Escherichia coli for improved eukaryotic protein glycosylation"
Metabolic Engineering 47: 488-495 Link
106. Stevenson TC, Cywes-Bentley C, Moeller TD, Weyant KB, Putnam D, Chang Y-F, Jones BD, Pier GB and DeLisa MP
"Immunization with outer membrane vesicles displaying a conserved polysaccharide antigen generates broadly bactericidal antibodies"
Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences U S A 115: E3106-E3115 Link
105. Weyant KB, Mills DC and DeLisa MP
"Bioengineering a new generation of carbohydrate-based vaccines"
Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering 19: 77–85 Link
104. Schoborg JA, Hershewe JM, Stark JC, Kightlinger WK [...] Jaroentomeechai T, Natarajan A, DeLisa MP and Jewett MC
"A cell-free platform for rapid synthesis and testing of active oligosaccharyltransferases"
Biotechnology and Bioengineering 115: 739-750 Link
103. Baltz MR, Stephens EA and DeLisa MP
"Design and functional characterization of synthetic E3 ubiquitin ligases for targeted protein depletion"
Current Protocols in Chemical Biology 10: 72-90 Link
102. Hamilton BS, Wilson JD, Shumakovich MA, Fisher AC, Brooks JC [...] Azadi P, Cummings RD, Merritt JH and DeLisa MP
"A library of chemically defined human N-glycans synthesized from microbial oligosaccharide precursors"
Scientific Reports 7: 15907 Link
101. Jaroentomeechai T, Zheng X, Hershewe J, Stark JC, Jewett MC and DeLisa MP
"A pipeline for studying and engineering single-subunit oligosaccharyltransferases"
Methods in Enzymology 597: 55-81 Link
100. Mizrachi D, Robinson M-P, Ke N, Ren G, Berkmen M and DeLisa MP
"A water-soluble DsbB variant that catalyzes disulfide bond formation in vivo"
Nature Chemical Biology 13: 1022-1028 Link
[*Featured in News and Views by Kalistyn Burley & Celia Goulding]
99. Watkins HC, Pagan CL, Childs HR, Posada S, Chau A, Rios J, Guarino C, DeLisa MP, Whittaker GR and Putnam D
"A single dose and long lasting vaccine against pandemic influenza through the controlled release of a heterospecies tandem M2 sequence embedded within detoxified bacterial outer membrane vesicles"
Vaccine 35: 5373-5380 Link
98. Gnopo YMD, Watkins HC, Stevenson TC, DeLisa MP and Putnam D
"Designer outer membrane vesicles as immunomodulatory systems – reprogramming bacteria for vaccine delivery"
Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 114: 132-142 Link
97. Natarajan A, Haitjema CH, Lee R, Boock JT and DeLisa MP
"An engineered survival-selection assay for extracellular protein expression uncovers hypersecretory phenotypes in Escherichia coli"
ACS Synthetic Biology 6: 875-883 Link
96. Watkins HC, Rappazzo CG, Higgins JS, Sun X [...] King MR, Maines TR, Leifer CA, Whittaker GR, DeLisa MP and Putnam D
"Safe recombinant outer membrane vesicles that display M2e elicit heterologous influenza protection"
Molecular Therapy 25: 989-1002 Link
95. Almeciga-Diaz CJ, Pimentel-Vera LN, Rodriguez-Lopez A [...] Cardona C, Reyes LH, DeLisa MP and Sanchez OF
"Human recombinant N-acetylgalactosamine-6-sulfate sulfatase (GALNS) produced in a glycoengineered Escherichia coli strain"
Molecular Genetics and Metabolism 120: S20 Link
94. Rogers K, Wayman J, Tasseff R, Gee C, DeLisa MP and Varner JD
"Modeling and analysis of hormone and mitogenic signal integration in prostate cancer"
93. Hsia CY, Chen L, DeLisa MP, and Daniel S
"A molecularly complete planar bacterial outer membrane platform"
Scientific Reports 6: 32715 Link
92. Valentine JL, Chen L, Perregaux EC, Weyant KB [...] Heiss C, Azadi P, Putnam D, Moe GR, Merritt JH and DeLisa MP
"Immunization with outer membrane vesicles displaying designer glycotopes yields class-switched, glycan-specific antibodies"
Cell Chemical Biology 23: 655-65 Link
91. Chen L, Valentine JL, Huang C-J, Endicott C, Moeller T [...] Heiss C, Azadi P, Putnam D, Trent MS, Jones BD and DeLisa MP
"Outer membrane vesicles displaying engineered glycotopes elicit protective antibodies"
Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences U S A 113: E3609-18 Link
90. Glasscock CJ, Lucks JB and DeLisa MP
"Engineered protein machines: emergent tools for synthetic biology"
Cell Chemical Biology 23: 45–56 Link
89. Rappazzo CG, Watkins HC, Guarino C, Chau A, Lopez JL, DeLisa MP, Leifer CA, Whittaker G and Putnam D
"Recombinant M2e outer membrane vesicle vaccines protect against lethal influenza A challenge in BALB/c mice"
Vaccine 34: 1252-8 Link
88. Ollis AA, Chai Y, Natarajan A, Perregaux EC, Jaroentomeechai T, Guarino C, Smith J, Zhang S and DeLisa MP
"Substitute sweeteners: diverse bacterial oligosaccharyltransferases with unique N-glycosylation site preferences"
Scientific Reports 5: 15237 Link
87. Ollis AA, Chai Y and DeLisa MP
"GlycoSNAP: a high-throughput screening methodology for engineering designer glycosylation enzymes"
Methods in Molecular Biology 1321: 37-47 Link
86. Nam KH, DeLisa MP and Ke A
"Characterizing metal-dependent nucleases of CRISPR/Cas prokaryotic adaptive immunity systems"
Methods in Molecular Biology 1311: 265-76 Link
85. Robinson M-P, Ke N, Lobstein J, Peterson C, Szkodny A, Mansell TJ [...] Noren CJ, Taron CH, DeLisa MP and Berkmen M
"Efficient expression of full-length antibodies in the cytoplasm of engineered bacteria"
Nature Communications 6: 8072 Link
84. Mizrachi D, Chen Y, Liu J, Peng H-M, Ke A, Pollack L, Turner RJ, Auchus RJ and DeLisa MP
"Making water-soluble integral membrane proteins in vivo using an amphipathic protein fusion strategy"
Nature Communications 6: 6826 Link
83. Boock JT, King BC, Taw M, Conrado RJ, Siu K-H, Stark J, Walker LP, Gibson DM and DeLisa MP
"Repurposing a bacterial quality control mechanism to enhance enzyme production in living cells"
Journal of Molecular Biology 427: 1451-63 Link
82. Boock JT, Waraho-Zhmayev D, Mizrachi D, and DeLisa MP
"Beyond the cytoplasm of Escherichia coli: localizing recombinant proteins where you want them"
Methods in Molecular Biology 1258: 79-97 Link
81. Celik E, Ollis AA, Lasanajak Y, Fisher AC, Gur G, Smith DF and DeLisa MP
"Glycoarrays with engineered phages displaying structurally diverse oligosaccharides enable high-throughput detection of glycan-protein interactions"
Biotechnology Journal 10: 199-209 Link
[*Featured in Commentary by Dr. Eric Shusta]
80. Lee H-C, Portnoff AD, Rocco MA and DeLisa MP
"An engineered genetic selection for ternary protein complexes inspired by a natural three-component hitchhiker mechanism"
Scientific Reports 4: 7570 Link
79. Rosenthal JA, Huang C-J, Doody AM, Leung T, Mineta K, Feng DD [...] Leifer C, DeLisa MP, Mendez S and Putnam D
"Mechanistic insight into Th1-biased immune responses to recombinant subunit vaccines delivered by probiotic bacteria-derived OMVs"
PLoS ONE 9: e112802 Link
78. Waraho-Zhmayev D, Meksiriporn B, Portnoff AD and DeLisa MP
"Optimizing recombinant antibodies for intracellular function using hitchhiker-mediated survival selection"
Protein Engineering, Design and Selection 27: 351-8 Link
77. Ollis AA, Zhang S, Fisher AC and DeLisa MP
"Engineered oligosaccharyltransferases with greatly relaxed acceptor site specificity"
Nature Chemical Biology 10: 816-22 Link
76. Park M, Sun Q, Liu F, DeLisa MP and Chen W
"Positional assembly of enzymes on bacterial outer membrane vesicles for cascade reactions"
PLoS ONE 9: e97103 Link
75. Baker JL, Chen L, Rosenthal JA, Putnam D and DeLisa MP
"Microbial biosynthesis of designer outer membrane vesicles"
Current Opinion in Biotechnology 29: 76-84 Link
74. Portnoff AD, Stephens EA, Varner JD and DeLisa MP
"Ubiquibodies: synthetic E3 ubiquitin ligases endowed with unnatural substrate specificity for targeted protein silencing"
Journal of Biological Chemistry 289: 7844-55 Link
[*Featured in SciBX]
73. O’Brien SP and DeLisa MP
"Split Cre recombinase effectively monitors protein-protein interactions in living bacteria"
Biotechnology Journal 9: 355-61 Link
72. Rosenthal JA, Baker JL, Chen L, Putnam D and DeLisa MP
"Pathogen-like particles: biomimetic vaccine carriers engineered at the nanoscale"
Current Opinion in Biotechnology 28: 51–58 Link
71. Sun Q, Madan B, Tsai S-L, DeLisa MP and Chen W
"Creation of artificial cellulosomes on DNA scaffolds by zinc finger protein-guided assembly for efficient cellulose hydrolysis"
Chemical Communications 50: 1423-5 Link
70. Haitjema CH, Boock JT, Natarajan A, Dominguez MA, Gardner JG, Keating DH, Withers ST and DeLisa MP
"Universal genetic assay for engineering extracellular protein expression"
ACS Synthetic Biology 3: 74–82 Link
[*Featured on the cover]
69. Feiler C, Fisher AC, Marrichi MJ, Wright L, Schmidpeter PAM, Blankenfeldt W, Pavelka M and DeLisa MP
"Directed evolution of Mycobacterium tuberculosis β-lactamase reveals gatekeeper residue that controls drug resistance and catalytic efficiency"
PLoS ONE 8: e73123 Link
68. Mansell TJ, Guarino C and DeLisa MP
"Engineered genetic selection links in vivo protein folding and stability with asparagine-linked glycosylation"
Biotechnology Journal 8: 1445-51 Link
[*Featured in Commentary by Dr. Danielle Tullman-Ercek]
67. Rosenthal JA, Leung T, DeLisa MP and Putnam DA
"Low-dose recombinant vaccine antigen delivery by engineered outer membrane vesicles"
Nano LIFE 3: 1342002 Link
66. Baker J, Celik E and DeLisa MP
"Expanding the glycoengineering toolbox: the rise of bacterial N-linked protein glycosylation"
Trends in Biotechnology 31: 313-23 Link
65. Merritt JH, Ollis AA, Fisher AC and DeLisa MP
"Glycans-by-design: engineering bacteria for the biosynthesis of complex glycans and glycoconjugates"
Biotechnology and Bioengineering 110: 1550-64 Link
64. Waraho-Zhmayev D, Gkogka L, Yu TY and DeLisa MP
"A microbial sensor for discovering structural probes of protein misfolding and aggregation"
Prion 7: 151-6 Link
63. Nam KH, Ding F, Haitjema CH, Huang Q, DeLisa MP and Ke A
"Double-stranded endonuclease activity in B. halodurans clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)-associated Cas2 protein"
Journal of Biological Chemistry 287: 35943-52 Link
[*Featured on the cover]
62. Nam KH, Haitjema CH, Ding F, DeLisa MP and Ke A
"Cas5d protein processes pre-crRNA and assembles into a Cascade-like interference complex in subtype I-C/Dvulg CRISPR-Cas system"
Structure 20: 1574-84 Link
61. Rocco MA, Waraho-Zhmayev D and DeLisa MP
"Twin-arginine translocase mutations that suppress folding quality control and permit export of misfolded substrate proteins"
Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences U S A 109: 13392-7 Link
60. O’Brien SP and DeLisa MP
"Functional reconstitution of a tunable E3-dependent sumoylation pathway in Escherichia coli"
PLoS ONE 7: e38671 Link
59. Valderrama-Rincon JD, Fisher AC, Merritt JH, Fan Y-Y, Reading C, Chhiba K, Heiss C, Azadi P, Aebi M and DeLisa MP
"An engineered eukaryotic glycosylation pathway in Escherichia coli"
Nature Chemical Biology 8: 434-6 Link
[*Recommended article on Faculty Opinions]
58. Guarino C and DeLisa MP
"A prokaryote-based cell-free translation system that efficiently synthesizes glycoproteins"
Glycobiology 22: 596-601 Link
57. Karlsson AJ, Lim HK, Xu H, Rocco MA, Bratkowski MA, Ke A and DeLisa MP
"Engineering antibody fitness and function using membrane-anchored display of correctly folded proteins"
Journal of Molecular Biology 416: 94-107 Link
[*Featured on the cover]
55. Contreras Martinez L, Boock JT, Kostecki JS and DeLisa MP
"The ribosomal exit tunnel as a target for optimizing protein expression in Escherichia coli"
Biotechnology Journal 7: 354-60 Link
[*Featured in Commentary by Dr. Francois Baneyx]
54. Conrado RJ, Wu GC, Boock JT, Xu H, Chen SY, Lebar T [...] Hodnik V, Anderluh G, Dueber JE, Jerala R and DeLisa MP
"DNA-guided assembly of biosynthetic pathways promotes improved catalytic efficiency"
Nucleic Acids Research 40: 1879-1889 Link
53. Tsao C-Y, Wang L, Hashimoto Y, Yi H, March J, DeLisa MP, Wood TK, Valdes JJ, and Bentley WE
"LuxS co-expression enhances yield of recombinant proteins in E. coli in part through post-transcriptional control of GroEL"
Applied and Environmental Microbiology 77: 2141-52 Link
52. Qi M, Lei L, Gong S, Liu Q, DeLisa MP and Zhong G
"Chlamydia trachomatis secretion of an immunodominant hypothetical protein (CT795) into host cell cytoplasm"
Journal of Bacteriology 193: 2498-509 Link
51. Perez-Rodriguez R, Haitjema CH, Huang Q, Nam KH, Bernardis S, Ke A and DeLisa MP
"Envelope stress is a trigger of CRISPR-mediated gene silencing in prokaryotes"
Molecular Microbiology 79: 584-99 Link
[*Featured in MicroCommentary by Dr. Tracy Raivio]
50. Fisher AC, Rocco MA and DeLisa MP
"Genetic selection of solubility-enhanced proteins using the twin-arginine translocation system"
Methods in Molecular Biology 705: 53-67 Link
49. Fisher AC, Haitjema CH, Guarino C, Celik E, Endicott CE, Reading CA, Merritt JH, Ptak AC, Zhang S and DeLisa MP
"Production of secretory and extracellular N-linked glycoproteins in Escherichia coli"
Applied and Environmental Microbiology 77: 871-81 Link
48. Chen D, Lei L, Flores R, DeLisa MP, Romesberg FE and Zhong G
"Secretion of the chlamydial protease CPAF requires Sec-dependent pathway"
Microbiology 156: 3031-40 Link
47. Celik E, Fisher AC, Guarino C, Mansell TJ and DeLisa MP
"A phage display system for N-linked glycoproteins"
Protein Science 19: 2006-13 Link
[*Featured in In This Issue highlights]
46. Mansell TJ, Linderman SW, Fisher AC and DeLisa MP
"A rapid protein folding assay for the bacterial periplasm"
Protein Science 19: 1079-90 Link
45. Borrero EE, Contreras Martinez L, DeLisa MP and Escobedo FA
"Kinetics and reaction coordinates of the reassembly of protein fragments via forward flux sampling"
Biophysics Journal 98: 1911-20 Link
44. Kostecki JS, Li H, Turner RJ and DeLisa MP
"Visualizing interactions along the Escherichia coli twin-arginine translocation pathway using protein fragment complementation"
PLoS ONE 5: e9225 Link
43. Chen D, Metzger S, Osterrieder N, DeLisa MP and Putnam D
"Delivery of foreign antigens by engineered outer membrane vesicle vaccines"
Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences U S A 107: 3099-104 Link
42. Lim H-K, Mansell TJ, Linderman SW, Fisher AC, Dyson MR and DeLisa MP
"Mining mammalian genomes for folding competent proteins using Tat-dependent genetic selection in Escherichia coli"
Protein Science 18: 2537-49 Link
41. Rocco MA, Kim J-Y, Burns A, Kostecki JS, Doody A, Wiesner U and DeLisa MP
"Site-specific labeling of surface proteins on living cells using genetically encoded peptides that bind fluorescent nanoparticles"
Bioconjugate Chemistry 20: 1482–89 Link
40. DeLisa MP and Conrado RJ
"Synthetic metabolic pipelines"
Nature Biotechnology 27: 728-9 Link
39. Waraho D and DeLisa MP
"Versatile selection technology for intracellular protein-protein interactions mediated by a unique bacterial hitchhiker transport mechanism"
Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences U S A 106: 3692-7 Link
38. Lee LL, Ha H, Chang Y-T and DeLisa MP
"Discovery of amyloid-beta aggregation inhibitors using an engineered assay for protein folding and solubility"
Protein Science 18: 277-286 Link
37. Fisher AC and DeLisa MP
"Efficient isolation of soluble intracellular single-chain antibodies using the twin-arginine translocation machinery"
Journal of Molecular Biology 385: 299-311 Link
36. Panahandeh S, Moser M, Maurer C, DeLisa MP and Müller M
"Following the path of a twin-arginine precursor along the TatABC translocase of Escherichia coli"
Journal of Biology Chemistry 283: 33267-75 Link
"Genetic toggling of alkaline phosphatase folding reveals signal peptides for all major modes across the inner membrane of bacteria"
Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 35223-35 Link
34. Conrado R, Varner JD and DeLisa MP
"Engineering the spatial organization of metabolic enzymes: mimicking nature's synergy"
Current Opinion in Biotechnology 19: 492-9 Link
33. Fisher AC, Kim J-Y, Perez-Rodriguez R, Tullman-Ercek D, Fish W, Henderson LA and DeLisa MP
"Exploration of twin-arginine translocation for the expression and purification of correctly folded proteins in Escherichia coli"
Microbial Biotechnology 1: 403-15 Link
32. Fisher AC and DeLisa MP
"Laboratory evolution of fast-folding green fluorescent protein using secretory pathway quality control"
PLoS ONE 3: e2351 Link
"Engineered bacterial outer membrane vesicles with enhanced functionality"
Journal of Molecular Biology 380: 51-66 Link
30. DeLisa MP and Haugh J
"First international conference on biomolecular engineering"
Biotechnology Progress 24: 1 Link
29. Mansell TJ, Fisher AC and DeLisa MP
"Engineering the protein folding landscape in Gram-negative bacteria"
Current Protein and Peptide Science 9: 138-149 Link
28. Contreras Martinez L, Borrero EE, Escobedo F and DeLisa MP
"In silico protein fragmentation reveals the importance of critical nuclei in domain reassembly"
Biophysics Journal 94: 1575-88 Link
27. Contreras Martinez L and DeLisa MP
"Intracellular ribosome display via SecM translation arrest as a selection for antibodies with enhanced cytosolic stability"
Journal of Molecular Biology 372: 513-24 Link
26. Conrado RJ, Mansell TJ, Varner JD and DeLisa MP
"Stochastic reaction-diffusion simulation of enzyme compartmentalization reveals improved catalytic efficiency for a synthetic metabolic pathway"
Metabolic Engineering 9: 355-63 Link
[*Featured on the cover]
25. Liao Q, Subramanian G, DeLisa MP, Koch DL and Wu M
"Pair velocity correlations among swimming bacteria are determined by force-quadrupole hydrodynamic interactions"
Physics of Fluids 19: 061701 Link
24. Perez-Rodriguez R, Fisher AC, Perlmutter JD, Hicks MG, Chanal A, Santini C-L, Wu L-F, Palmer T and DeLisa MP
"An essential role for the DnaK molecular chaperone in stabilizing over expressed substrates of the bacterial twin-arginine translocation pathway"
Journal of Molecular Biology 367: 715-30 Link
23. Tullman-Ercek D, DeLisa MP, Kawarasaki Y, Iranpour P, Ribnicky B, Palmer T and Georgiou G
"Export pathway selectivity of Escherichia coli twin-arginine translocation signal peptides"
Journal of Biology Chemistry 282: 8309-16 Link
22. Wu M, Roberts JW, Kim S, Koch DL and DeLisa MP
"Collective bacterial dynamics revealed using a three-dimensional population-scale defocused particle tracking technique"
Applied and Environmental Microbiology 72: 4987-94 Link
21. Diao J, Young L, Kim S, Fogarty EA, Heilman SM, Zhou P, Shuler ML, Wu M and DeLisa MP
"A three-channel microfluidic device for generating static linear gradients and its application to the quantitative analysis of bacterial chemotaxis"
Lab on a Chip 6: 381-388 Link
20. Contreras Martinez L, Martinez-Veracoechea F, Pohkarel P, Stroock AD, Escobedo F and DeLisa MP
"Protein translocation through a tunnel induces changes in folding kinetics: a lattice model study"
Biotechnology and Bioengineering 94: 105-117 Link
19. Fisher AC, Kim W and DeLisa MP
"Genetic selection for protein solubility enabled by the folding quality control feature of the twin-arginine translocation pathway"
Protein Science 15: 449-458 Link
[*Recommended article on Faculty Opinions]
18. Kim J-Y, Fogarty EA, Lu FJ, Zhu H, Wheelock GD, Henderson LA and DeLisa MP
"Twin-arginine translocation of active human tissue plasminogen activator in Escherichia coli"
Applied and Environmental Microbiology 71: 8451-8459 Link
17. Bronstein PA, Marrichi MJ, Cartinhour S, Schneider DJ and DeLisa MP
"Identification of a twin-arginine translocation system in Pseudomonas syringe pv. tomato DC3000 and its contribution to pathogenicity and fitness"
Journal of Bacteriology 187: 8450-8461 Link
16. Bronstein PA, Marrichi MJ and DeLisa MP
"Dissecting the twin-arginine translocation pathway using genome-wide analysis"
Research in Microbiology 155: 803-810 Link
15. Fisher AC and DeLisa MP
"A little help from my friends: quality control of presecretory proteins in bacteria"
Journal of Bacteriology 186: 7467-7473 Link
14. Masip L, Pan J, Haldar S, Penner-Han JE, DeLisa MP, Georgiou G, Bardwell J and Collet J-F
"An engineered pathway for the formation of protein disulfide bonds"
Science 303: 1185-1189 Link
[*Recommended article on F1000Prime]
13. DeLisa MP, Lee P, Palmer T and Georgiou G
"Phage shock protein PspA of Escherichia coli relieves the saturation of protein export via the Tat pathway"
Journal of Bacteriology 186: 366-373 Link
[*Recommended article on F1000Prime]
12. DeLisa MP, Tullman D and Georgiou G
"Folding quality control in the export of proteins via the bacterial twin-arginine translocation pathway"
Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences U S A 100: 6115-6120 Link
[*Recommended article on F1000Prime]
11. DeLisa MP, Samuelson P, Palmer T and Georgiou G
"Genetic analysis of the twin-arginine translocator pathway in bacteria"
Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 29825-29831 Link
10. DeLisa MP and Bentley WE
"Bacterial autoinduction: looking outside the cell for new metabolic engineering targets"
Microbial Cell Factories 1: 5 Link
"Quorum signaling via AI-2 communicates the "metabolic burden" associated with heterologous protein production in Escherichia coli"
Biotechnology and Bioengineering 75: 439-450 Link
"DNA microarray-based identification of genes controlled by AI-2 stimulated quorum sensing in Escherichia coli"
Journal of Bacteriology 183: 5239-5247 Link
7. DeLisa MP, Valdes JJ and Bentley WE
"Mapping stress-induced changes in autoinducer AI-2 production in chemostat-cultivated Escherichia coli"
Journal of Bacteriology 183: 2918-2928 Link
"Genomic analysis of high cell density recombinant Escherichia coli fermentation and cell “conditioning” for improved recombinant protein yield"
Biotechnology and Bioengineering 72: 85-95 Link
"Generic model control of induced protein expression in high cell density cultivation of Escherichia coli using on-line GFP-fusion monitoring"
Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering 24: 83-91 Link
"Evanescent wave long period fiber Bragg grating as an immobilized antibody biosensor"
Analytical Chemistry 72: 2895-2900 Link
3. Gill RT, DeLisa MP, Shiloach M, Holoman TR and Bentley WE
"OmpT activity and expression increase in response to recombinant chloramphenicol acetyl-transferase overexpression"
Journal of Molecular Microbiology and Biotechnology 2: 283-289 Link
2. Chae HJ, DeLisa MP, Cha HJ, Weigand WA and Bentley WE
"Framework for on-line optimization of recombinant protein expression in high cell density Escherichia coli cultures using GFP-fusion monitoring"
Biotechnology and Bioengineering 69: 275-285 Link
1. DeLisa MP, Li J, Rao G, Weigand WA and Bentley WE
"Monitoring fusion protein expression during high cell density cultivation of Escherichia coli using on-line green fluorescent protein sensor"
Biotechnology and Bioengineering 65: 54-64 Link
Books and Book Chapters
5. Shuler ML, Kargi F and DeLisa MP Bioprocess Engineering Third Edition. New Jersey: Prentice Hall
4. Fisher AC, Mansell TJ and DeLisa MP Protein folding and solubility: pathways and high-throughput assays In: Lutz S and Bornscheuer U, editors. Protein Engineering Handbook. Germany: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
3. Contreras Martinez L and DeLisa MP Expression engineering of synthetic antibodies using ribosome display In: Dyson M and Durocher Y, editors. Expression Systems - Methods Express. Oxfordshire, UK: Scion Publishing
2. Conrado RJ, Mansell TJ and DeLisa MP Engineering multifunctional enzyme systems for optimized metabolite transfer between sequential conversion steps In: Smolke CD, editor. Handbook for Metabolic Pathway Engineering. San Diego: CRC Press
1. DeLisa MP, Gill RT and Bentley WE Mapping stresses in Escherichia coli to improve yield: Examining global gene regulation and “cell conditioning” strategies In: Merten O-W, editor. Recombinant Protein Production with Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells A Comparative View on Host Physiology: Springer